Behind the Glass



In the famous words of Carrie Fisher, "Take your broken heart, make it into art." And so I did just that a couple years ago while drafting another entry for the CBC Creative Nonfiction contest. I dug this one up from the archives. It needs some air.

***
The metal door clinked loudly as the officer shut it behind me.

“Follow me.”
He led me across a sterile room to a plastic and metal chair positioned in front of a booth, grabbed the back of the chair and motioned silently for me to sit. I sat down and looked ahead through a sheet of thick plexiglass to the opposite side. My mother stared back at me.
“Hi, mom.”
“Hi, sweetie.” 
Small, dark specks of blood remained on her nose and chin. All the blood on the front side of her white sweater had crusted into a deep crimson from the chest down.
“Mom, why are you in here and not him? It’s not fair.”
“It was an outstanding warrant from a while ago. Nothing serious. They want to keep me overnight, that’s all.”
“Overnight? It’s not fair!" I stood up and pounded the plexiglass hard with my fist. "You came here to charge him! It’s not fucking fair!”
The officer stepped towards me. “Settle down or we’ll throw you in, too.”
“Fuck you.”
I sat down again and slumped in my chair. Looked at my mother. Saw my own angry face staring back at me in the glass.

****

I fled through the front door of our duplex into the cool dark of early morning at 3 a.m. The traffic light at the intersection cast green on my striped pajamas as I ran up the driveway. Deserted streets in either direction. The neighborhood houses were grey, inanimate facades of their former selves. No signs of life but my own ragged breath.
A few blocks down, my old elementary school cast thick shadows as I lumbered by. Gravel punctured my bare feet as I passed beneath the humming streetlight. I had left there only a year ago for junior high. My first kiss right in that parking lot. His big teeth, my small mouth. Passing notes in class. Will you go out with me, yes or no (circle one). The thought of it stung my eyes.
I was never a runner, even before the asthma. By the time I turned onto my uncle’s block I was staggering. My bloody feet smudged rickety wooden steps as I climbed to his front door. The house was dark. I rapped my knuckles against the hard door several times. A light went on in the foyer. A click of the locks and the door opened. My uncle stood squinting against the light in his housecoat.
“What the hell?” He swung open the screen door to let me in. “Did you come all the way from your house like that?”
“He ripped the phone out of the wall. I couldn’t call. You need to come.” I swallowed hard and waited like all the other times. He stared back at me, silent and wide-eyed. My legs trembled. I wondered if he had heard what I said.
“For fuck sakes,” he muttered. “Wait right here for a minute”. He shuffled off towards the bedroom. I heard the muffled exchange of voices. Then the soft shuffle of clothes, heavy footsteps on the creaking wooden floor, the jingling of keys. My uncle emerged in jeans and a sweater. “Okay, let’s go,” he said.
We were there in three minutes. The traffic light was red as we pulled up to the intersection by my duplex. My uncle’s knuckles flashed white as he gripped the steering wheel. We both stared straight ahead in silence.
The lights in my duplex were still on when we arrived but no shapes were visible behind the curtains. We stood on my doorstep together as he rang the doorbell. I felt like that kid who had to go get the teacher. A tattle-tale. He rang the doorbell a second time. Moments later heavy footsteps moved down the stairs toward us. My mother answered the door.
Her disheveled blonde hair had been pulled back in a ponytail, betraying a pink and puffy face. One of her eyes looked smaller than the other. A bead of fresh blood glistened on her cut lip. She nervously wiped at it with the back of her hand.
She looked upon me with contempt. “Where the hell have you been?”
“I was–”
“What’s going on?” my uncle cut in.
“Nothing is going on,” she said, matter-of-factly. She reached over and grabbed my sleeve, yanking me in the house.
“Jesus Christ. Don’t tell me nothing’s wrong. Let me in for a minute.” His hand pressed against the door.
“Everything’s fine. Go home.” The walls of the duplex shook as she slammed the door. The deadbolt was clicked in place.
I trudged up the stairs, sunken, defeated. My mother followed in silence. The truck engine rumbled to life in the driveway, its departing headlights flashing through my bedroom as I climbed into bed. My mother closed my bedroom door as she walked by, sealing me in against the hallway light. All was dark.

******

“Good morning,” my mother said as I entered the kitchen late the next day. Must have been close to noon. I didn’t answer.
The smell of stale beer and dish soap hung heavy in the humid kitchen. The windows were steamed up, except for the one with masking tape on the cracks. Empty bottles and beer cans were neatly piled in the corner on the linoleum next to the two-seater kitchen table. The broken glass had been removed from the floor, counters wiped. Clean covers put on bloody pillows. All evidence erased. Nothing had happened here.
I made myself a coffee and headed into the living room.
He sat in the recliner, a sprawl of open arms and legs as he stared at the TV. “Hey, kid,” he said. I said nothing and sat down on the couch across the room.
Twenty minutes passed before he made a joke about something on the news. This was his apology to me. I turned to him, looking at him squarely as if seeing him for the first time since he came into our lives a year ago. Faded black clothes. Black greasy hair. Pale skin. He let me stare without looking back.
He used to make me laugh, back in the days when any of us laughed at all. He always called me ‘kid’.
“Hey kid,” he would say. “Why didn’t the lifeguard save the hippie?”
“I dunno. Why?”
“Because he was too far out, man”. Then he would giggle like a tickled boy. That always made me laugh.
“Hey kid, come here for a sec” he said one day. I would always oblige. He had secrets and stories to tell. He rolled up his sleeve to reveal a tattooed arm, turned it over so I could see its smooth, white flesh on the underside. “See that, kid?”
I looked closer. Small pink-brown polka dots lined his arm. They were everywhere.
“Burns,” he said.
“Burns? Burns from what?”
“My mom. She would put her smoke on my arm. If I could take it for more than a minute she would give me a beer.”
“Looks like you drank a lot of beer.”
He laughed, reached over and messed my hair. I smiled. Those were softer times.
By the time my mother was finished cleaning in the kitchen, he had left the room. She sat on the other end of the couch from me, groaning as she bent. The sound of brokenness. We sat in silence for a long time while the TV droned on.
Suddenly I turned to look at her. The pink swells on her face from the night before had begun to darken. One black eye, maybe two. Her nose looked more crooked than usual. Only seconds passed before she looked back at me. She wasn’t a coward like he was. My mother was tough. Sometimes too tough for my liking.
We met each other’s eyes for a few moments.
“What?” she asked.
“Have you looked at yourself in the mirror today?” The question hung between us, sucking all the oxygen from the room. I suddenly wished someone else had said it. Someone far away. I wanted it to stop there but that person kept right on talking.
“Do you think other people live like this? Why can’t we just live like everyone else?”
Her eyes began to water but she held my gaze. Her lips trembled.
“Well are you at least going to press charges?”
She turned away. No one in my family cries. She stared at an ink stain on the coffee table for a while. My eyes remained locked on her, waiting. Just when I thought she would speak, she rose, walked to her bedroom, and shut the door.

****

A door opened on my mother’s side of the visiting booth. A young male officer emerged.
“Ma’am, time is up,” he said.
I sat up in my seat. I wasn’t ready for this. I couldn’t bear the thought of her sleeping in a cold, hard cell in that bloody sweater.
She stood up from her seat. I stood up, too. I leaned in close to the plexiglass, my breath flashing against it.
“Mom.” I clenched my jaw hard, but the tears came anyway.
The officer took her gently by the arm to lead her out. She gave me soft look as she walked away.
“It will be okay, sweetie. I will see you tomorrow. Go home."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mother

Wind in Her Hair