The Alchemist

I have begun to write my memoir. Normally I would expect to hear the scuttling sounds of family running for cover, but I’m pretty sure they don’t read my blog.

It has taken me a long time to get comfortable working with the material of my past. I once referred to this process in therapy as exhuming the bones from the shadowlands of my psyche. The first time I told one of my stories in therapy, I had given my therapist notice beforehand that I would be discussing something big. This was after a year of working together. At the beginning of that session, he unwrapped a fresh blue stick of putty and handed it to me. “Feel free to make something with this,” he said. And so for the next 45 minutes, I spoke and worked the putty with my hands. At the end of the session, he looked at me silently with watery eyes. “You are a storyteller,” he said. I asked him if he was okay, and passed him the blue putty. I had brutishly crafted a roundish blob. He held it up and looked at it curiously. “What shall we call this piece?”

I heard a quote today by Mary Karr, that writing a memoir is like knocking yourself out with your own fist. After a few hours of giving myself a good bruising at the laptop, I have asked myself why I must tell these stories. I also wonder if I will have to atone for any damage that doing so may cause others. But my heart says that this is the path I must follow, to bring the bones into the light. It is the way of the alchemist, to turn base metal into gold.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mother

Wind in Her Hair

Behind the Glass